Thursday, August 2, 2007

Welcome to August

So I figured that it was about time I blogged again. I am spaced out completely so this will most likely be utterly incoherent but here goes. The past few weeks have been a great rollercoaster of emotions. I mean shoot, I never signed up for any of this but what the hey, God is good and He hates letting us stay in the places we are. I am deeply appreciative of my family and friends who have been a blessing and always have been. It seems most of my life in the past year has been nothing more than me crashing again and again and again. There seems to never be an end only a few short breathers. We all come to a place where we realize that we cannot get what we truly want from people. Once you hit that it is as if oblivion opens up and a million questions shoot out of the ground only to disappear into thin air. God is good.
So often we fail to actually trust God to be good. Well often, we limit it to our definition of good which is nothing more than an overused, unexciting, above par term. He truly does have excellence and splendor to bestow upon His people and He truly does reward those who diligently seek Him. It’s odd, we are far too often prone to see the recompense of God to come in terms of our sinning and neglect that which He has promised to bless. We are justified through our faith. This is by no means is limited to atonement, yet it is clearly part of it, but it refers to the reward of everything we have sown. In His mercy He blots out sin and loves to reward righteousness and faithfulness. In the little things no one knows or no one seems to care He has great reward both on this side and the next for us. I for the longest time was a critic of the whole reward message thinking it only prodded people on in a more spiritual version of the American dream. One can look at a message time and time again and then forget and seem to apply it whenever they choose but it stands true forever.
For the past few months I have been driven by some of my dad’s last words. A few days before he passed away he looked at my mom and said, “All that matters is obedience.” That was followed by a deep sigh and a “Jesus you are so good.” He obeyed all he was led to do, in prayer, in petition, and in taking authority. At the end of the day with no results that is where he stood. It really does sadden me that most of my memories of him are fading with age but in time of crisis, semi – crisis, chaos, it is a phenomenal thing to look back on and be grateful.
Life moves on and God never changes. On another note I enjoy the route I have been running. I am psyched because tomorrow I am hanging out with my buddy Matt Johnson and his friend Joe who just moved down here. We are going to indulge ourselves in one of the greatest movies of all time, Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. And by greatest I mean possibly one of the dumbest but oddly enough I find it more quotable than Wayne’s World and the Grail. Granted the quotes are not that meaningful I mean to call it meaningful would be absurd, even more so than the electoral process. But it does have a place in my heart. Tonight I found out that God gave me a gift, I ush well, I ush very well. I got to put my ushing skills to the test while I was an usher tonight. Granted the testing was not hard but I like to believe I passed with flying colors, I mean my shirt even had yellow in it. So I look at the time and am mildly befuddled why I am not in bed and am writing I personally blame Darin Damme who not once but twice played “Lose Yourself” by Eminem on stage tonight on his bass guitars. Then again I would think just having that occur would solidly usher me off into a dreamy place of euphoric contentment. So that is all from here really. God bless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes.

welcome to august indeed.

and in nine more days, you can welcome me into my twenty-third year of life. that was a completely shameless 22nd birthday drop, but hey, what can you do? (i suppose eminem would tell me to lose myself... yeah... that was a pretty funny PR moment...)

Anonymous said...

Oh Jonathan, did you really quote two William H. Macy movies back to back? Oh well. Go you huskies and I'm glad you made it to August.